Segger develops and distributes software development tools and ANSI C software components for embedded systems. Main products are : emWin, an universal graphics software (GUI) for embedded applications; embOS, a small real-time kernel; emFile, an embedded file system; USB stacks; and J-Link, the JTAG emulator for ARM cores. Segger cuts software development time for embedded applications by offering compact, flexible and easy-to-use middleware.
The emPower eval board provides a comprehensive set of SEGGER’s middleware products, accelerating the start of any embedded project. SEGGER’s embOS real-time operating system is at the heart of the evaluation. Furthermore, evaluation versions of the file system emFile, graphics library emWin, emUSB Host & Device, and TCP/IP stack embOS/IP (including web server demo) enable full use of the available emPower peripherals.
emPower also features a J-Link OB, an on-board version of SEGGER’s market-leading debug probe J-Link.
There are three expansion interfaces to easily connect additional modules. Each connector provides I2C, SPI, UART, GPIO/timer, analog input, and power. A display adapter connector enables the connection of small TFT displays.
The emPower board is powered by USB only. Current consumption drawn strongly depends on the application and connected peripherals. Idle consumption is approx. 85 mA.
Board main features:
- NXP Kinetis K66 MCU (MK66FN2M0VMD18) 180MHz, ARM Cortex-M4
- 1.8″ LCD module (resolution 160×128)
- External debug interface (19-pin Cortex-M); incl. trace
- Display adapter connector (5 V/3.3 V, SPI, PWM for backlight control)
- 100 Mbps fast Ethernet
- USB device: High speed, B-type connector
- USB host: Full speed, providing USB supply to device, A type receptacle (for directly plugging in A type devices/modules)
- NAND Flash 1GBit
- 3 expansion interfaces providing I2C, SPI buses, UART, CAN, GPIO/timer,analog input, power, compatible with 3.3V SExI modules.
- microSD card connector
- Joystick 4(+1)-way, 1x “FIRE” button, 1x RESET button
- Rotary input (potentiometer to ADC)
- LEDs: 4x bicolor
- Pin headers for spare MCU signals
- On-board debug probe J-Link-OB (STM32F072, mini A/B-type connector); SWD/SWO only, no VCOM port support
- Configuration free: no shorting links or solder jumpers required
- Dimensions 99 mm x 80 mm
Controller main features:
- 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 based core with DSP instructions and Single Precision Floating Point unit
- 2 MB program flash memory
- 256 KB RAM
- 4 KB FlexRAM
- Memory protection unit with multi-master protection
- 48 MHz internal reference
- Hardware random-number generator
- Supports DES, AES, SHA accelerator (CAU)
- Two 16-bit SAR ADCs and two 12-bit DAC
- Ethernet controller with RMII interface to external PHY and hardware IEEE 1588 capability
- USB high-/full-/low-speed On-the-Go with on-chip high speed transceiver
- USB full-/low-speed OTG with on-chip transceiver
- CAN, SPI, I2C and UART modules
- Secure Digital Host Controller (SDHC)