MapuSoft Technologies (MT) is the number one provider of embedded software re-use solutions. Our development platform, AppCOE (Application Common Operating Environment ) integrates all of MapuSoft’s solutions in one host environment for easy porting, abstraction, simulation, testing and conversion. The included tools are OS Changer Porting Kit, Cross-OS Development Platform, Cross-OS Hypervisor, Linux OK, OS Simulator, OS Version UpKit, Ada-C/C++ Changer and application/platform profilers. We provide full source code with no royalties.
Eclipse-based IDE for Host Porting, Abstraction, Simulation, Testing and Conversion
Application Common Operating Environment (AppCOE™) is a framework of common architecture that promotes interoperability and cross-platform capabilities among systems and devices. It is built on the powerful open source Eclipse-based framework and integrates all of MapuSoft’s tools: OS Changer®, Cross-OS Development Platform™, Cross-OS Hypervisor™, Linux OK™, OS Simulator™, App/Platform Profiler™, OS Version UpKit™ and Ada-C/C++ Changer™. Embedded C, C++ and Ada applications can be standardized on AppCOE to allow the applications to interoperate and run seamlessly on a single platform.
Why Use AppCOE?
- Supports multiple embedded development languages (C, C++, and Ada)
- Proven, robust, industry standard interfaces allows legacy and new applications to talk to each other in a safe and secure environment
- Develop applications using various MapuSoft OS Interfaces (VxWorks®, Nucleus®, ThreadX®, pSOS®, Linux/POSIX, micro-ITRON and Windows®) and run on various target operating systems
- Standardize multiple RTOS applications, allowing them to interoperate and run seamlessly on a single platform
- Negates future porting efforts to save money and time
- Provides freedom, protection and stability to embedded applications
- Concentrate on enhancement of your product functions rather than worrying about the hardware, RTOS and tools becoming obsolete
Rapid Software Reuse on any Operating System with Performance Optimization
OS Changer® is a C/C++ source-level virtualization technology that allows you to easily re-use your software developed for VxWorks®, pSOS®, Linux/POSIX, Windows®, Nucleus®, ThreadX® and μITRON on another OS, while providing real-time performance. It eliminates the manual porting effort, saves money and shortens the time to market. The appropriate OS Changer Interface connects to your existing application that was developed on your current OS while the OS Abstractor® Target Specific Module (specific to your target OS) provides the connection to the OS you are moving to.
Why Change Your OS?
- Switch to an OS that offers support for your next generation hardware
- Switch to an OS that is more economical and/or requires no royalty payments
- Switch to an OS that is free and open-source
- Switch to an OS that provides better development tools
- Switch to an OS that offers a wide range of driver, protocol and middleware support
- Switch to an OS that offers you better performance and a smaller memory foot print
- Switch to an OS that meets your required certification standards
Develop and Test on a Virtualized Host without the Target Hardware
MapuSoft’s OS Simulator™ allows engineers to develop and test embedded applications on Windows or Linux host environments. OS Simulator eliminates the need for the original OS, as well as the requirement for expensive target hardware during development. Without the need for those components, development and testing can begin much earlier. The result is lower licensing costs, reduced hardware requirements and a shorter time to market.
OS Simulator also provides a virtualized test platform to simulate a system of applications interacting with each other on one or more CPU cores through simulated devices. Optionally, OS Simulator is available with source code to simulate embedded applications integrated with native tools/software on Windows or Linux target environments.
Available OS Simulators:
- OS Abstractor™
Develop Once to Deploy on Multiple Platforms with Ease
Cross-OS Development Platform™ is a C/C++ source-level virtualization technology that provides a robust and industry standard OS interface architecture for flexible real-time application development, while allowing the user to protect the software from being locked to one OS. This negates future porting issues because the software will support multiple operating systems and versions from the beginning. It also eliminates the risk associated with the OS selection process, since the same application can be tested on multiple platforms for comparison and won’t be tied to the chosen OS.
Here are some advantages provided by Cross-OS Development Platform:
- Reduces cost associated with code maintenance across multiple OS platforms
- Eliminates time consuming manual updates to applications when upgrading OS
- Allows for host based development to avoid buying expensive target tools and hardware
- Includes a Profiler to identify performance bottlenecks and a target code Optimizer to enhance performance
- Easily connects to your in-house abstraction solution to extend your abstraction features and to support more target operating systems
- Easily connects to your in-house target OS to provide access to the Cross-OS Interfaces for development
Ada to C Conversion to Re-deploy Existing Ada Software
Ada to C conversion is made simple with Ada-C/C++ Changer™ can be used in two ways: as a converter or as a compiler. As a converter, it transitions Ada code to C/C++. When used as a compiler, Ada applications can support targets for which only C/C++ toolchains are available.
As a Converter
- Reuse or re-deploy your existing Ada software
- Automatically convert Ada to C/C++
- Extensive cost and time savings
As a Compiler
- Compile Ada code using C/C++ tools
- Support CPU architectures not supported by Ada compilers
Consolidate Applications Developed for Multiple OS on a Single OS Platform
A typical hypervisor allows for running applications on multiple operating systems on a single hardware platform. Cross-OS Hypervisor™ is a next-generation hypervisor that eliminates the need for multiple operating systems by providing the OS functionalities required by the applications. This design ensures that applications are not locked into a particular OS platform and also simplifies development, reduces bill-of-material costs, and utilizes the system resources more effectively.
Cross-OS Hypervisor is redefining virtualization from wrapper-based implementations to source-level virtualization, thereby bypassing multiple layers of OS and hypervisor schedulers to gain performance increases. Cross-OS Hypervisor provides virtualization interfaces for POSIX/Linux, micro-ITRON, Windows®, VxWorks®, Nucleus®, ThreadX® and pSOS® applications.
Linux Optimization Kit: Increase Performance of Linux Applications
Developers are feeling additional pressure to get a performance increase from their embedded Linux due to increased real-time demands on applications, while having limited resources on their existing target hardware platform. To achieve additional performance, they will need to dig into the Linux operating system code to re-build the kernel and spend a considerable amount of time re-designing the application to improve performance.
MapuSoft’s Linux OK™ (Linux Optimization Kit) framework provides several kernel and application specific optimization features all aimed at increasing CPU performance, speeding up boot-time and reducing memory footprint for Linux applications.
The Linux Optimization Kit provides header files and template code to re-direct the application to use the Linux OK interfaces. It also generates optimized interface code, based on the level of individual API usage in the application, and according to GUI settings input by the user which captures resource requirements and target environment settings. Linux OK improves application performance by reducing run-time creation and deletion of OS resources by pooling and reusing them across applications/processes. Linux OK also reduces unnecessary task and user/kernel mode switching.